Thursday, July 21, 2011

$100 Sunscreen

No, I did not spend $100 on sunscreen, but I did go to Target to ONLY get sunscreen and spent $130. One might wonder how on earth that may happen, or feel sorry that my husband has to deal with this. Here is my justifications... because of course everything in my mind needs justification. Kurt and I are going to the beach tomorrow! Yay! Santa Rosa actually, to see my best friend, Syd and her mom who lives there (part time). This is our favorite vacation or thing to do period. We love this trip because it is such a blast! Anyways, back to $100 sunscreen... I get 15 SPF and 30 SPF because everyone burns while spending all day on the beach. Ten bucks says I'll look like a tomato and Kurt will be wearing a shirt by Day 2. I also stumble by the beach towels and think I NEED one of those, then the book section, everyone needs a good read when going to the beach, then I see the clothes... my down fall. There are cardigans on sale, of course a staple for my job that is a building with temperatures that feel close to ten degrees. This is a very practical purchase I am thinking while strolling down the isles of Target.. Then comes the pet department... "Well, Colt hasn't gotten a toy in a while. How awful of a mom am I to not by this poor baby toys?" So, I get him a rubber duck that, today no longer has a head or feet. He also needs a new collar because the one he had was teal and made him look a little girly. Then, I remember we need windex because I haven't dusted in 5 weeks. haha! Not really, but with the new job it is less and less often. I am checking out, seeing the price continue to rise, thinking "ohh no". To make it feel a little painless I have $30 in cash. I am walking to the car thinking, "how am I going to explain to Kurt, my financial savvy, banker, tightwad husband that a quick sunblock trip to Target cost his (really- our, but I don't take it near as personal) precious wallet $100. The thoughts in mind are, 1. wait until he sees it first thing tomorrow morning when he gets to work and looks at our bank account. 2. Just go ahead and prepare him for the inevitable. So, I take the high ride and call him on the way home... "Hey, I just bought a few things at Target that we really NEEDED" (me). "How much did you spend? (Kurt) That's usually how these conversations go. You see, it's not that I spent $100 that he cares about it's that sunblock should not cost that and that in his mind is what I was getting. I am so thankful that he is more practical and likes to save because everyone knows that I like to live for the moment. We tend to balance each other out very well. Kurt likes to have a plan and budgets for everything. I like to buy it if I WANT it, which I usually do. Though, I did put back a necklace I was going to get, but I DIDN'T! For the record, I pack my breakfast and lunch every day for work and am starting to carpool tomorrow to save money.

1 comment: